Director of Advising and Retention
Calhoun Community College
- Provide overall management of the advising center, including the review of current procedures, services, programs and the development and administration of innovative programs
- Supervise and provide leadership for the advisors, orientation teachers, and office staff.
- Develop and assess annual departmental goals and objectives.
- Conduct in-service and professional development workshops for office staff.
- Provide for effective evaluation and assessment of the advising experience of each advisee.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of early alert systems, such as Starfish or Sage.
- Incorporate Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) in Advising and National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) concept of academic advising.
- Stay abreast of new trends, and best practices in the delivery of quality retention and advising, and graduation.
- Use data to assess retention and advising services.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, teach, and assess Freshman Orientation program and classes.
- Advise and register students while helping them become knowledgeable about course requirements relative to the particular major they are pursuing.
- Maintain and assist students with developing a working knowledge of STARS program.
- Coordinate with the Graduation and Job Placement Specialist a retention and graduation plan that aligns with the College’s strategic plan.
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing student, faculty, and staff participation in retention programs.
- Promote student success.
- Develop, monitor and administer all budgets for the department.
- Perform all duties with professionalism.
- Practice and teach staff excellent customer service skills.
- Serve on College Committees.
- Perform related duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student Services.