Heavy Equipment Mechanic - Decatur #26460
Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America and WE ARE HIRING!
Mechanics come to Kinder Morgan from a variety of backgrounds and job experiences and receive training needed to maintain the equipment we use to serve our customers. JOIN OUR TEAM of talented and dedicated equipment mechanics!
Eligible for SIGN-ON Bonus! Job level based on skills and experience.
Our Trinity Terminal located at 4301 Iverson Blvd, Trinity, Alabama 35673, near Decatur, Madison and Huntsville areas is one of Kinder Morgan’s network of 141 terminals where we store and handle products for our customers. Our culture is centered around our values of integrity, accountability, safety and excellence and we are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. At Kinder Morgan your benefits begin on your first day, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, two retirement plans, paid holidays, and paid time off.
Primary Purpose: Heavy Equipment Mechanics are responsible for installing, maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing primarily heavy equipment related to the unloading, loading, transfer, and storage of bulk materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Dismantle and repair heavy equipment including diesel and gas engines, electric motors and generators, hydraulic and pneumatic attachments, cable handling devices, control systems, fuel and brake systems, etc.
- Diagnose problems and make repairs to heavy equipment, cranes, loaders, dozers, etc…
- Perform preventive maintenance on mechanical engines, vehicles, and equipment used in bulk handling operations.
- Examine protective guards, loose bolts, and safety devices on equipment and make adjustments.
- Operate a variety of tools/equipment such as cutting torch, welder, forklift, hand tools, power tools (impact wrench, drills, etc…), and electric meters.
- Perform work from blueprints, sketches, or verbal instructions.
- Participate in and promote safety and environmental programs.
- Perform all work in compliance with company standards, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Whether you have been serving our Country in the military, working for another company in the private sector or recently finished school, we encourage you to consider continuing or beginning your career as a Mechanic with Kinder Morgan.
Education: High School Graduate or equivalent.
Experience / Specific Knowledge:
- Knowledge and experience in safe handling practices of flammable gases, liquids, and hydraulic systems.
- 1 - 3 years of mechanical maintenance experience (Heavy Equipment experience a plus).
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Competencies, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to accept supervision/direction and work effectively and cooperatively with other people.
- Ability to carry and communicate over a company-provided mobile radio.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals).
- Must work schedule as assigned (days/evening shifts) including weekends and overtime assignments.
- Ability to complete and maintain safety training and security certification as required by customers to work in their facilities and as required by all Kinder Morgan locations.
- Ability to deal with evolving operating conditions with a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to identify, report, and correct safety and environmental concerns.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Successful completion of background check and post-offer and random drug screens.
- Required to sit and stand; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms.
- Walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing up/down ladders and stairs, work at heights up to 30 feet, negotiating uneven and moving surfaces, and frequently lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds.
- Vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must meet medical criteria for the use of respiratory protective equipment, if required.
- Must be available to respond to on-site call-out as assigned.
- Perform work in a dusty environment and in all types of temperature/weather conditions.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
- Diploma or Certificate from accredited trade/vocational school for auto/diesel/truck mechanic training.
- Must have basic mechanic tools: hand tools, tape measure, adjustable wrenches, hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, etc…
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned. The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.